- Mineral chemistry :Production of concentrated HNO3
- Organic chemistry :Use of concentrated HNO3 (nitration)
- Nuclear industry :Evaporator working in nitric environment, to concentrate products of fusion
- Metallurgical industry :Tanks – equipment destined for nitrogen sulphite mixtures
- Chemical industry :Chrome sulphite mixtures, very oxyding solutions
A strong addition of silicon to austenitic stainless steels of the 18/10 type has a favourable influence on resistance to transpassive intergranular corrosion. This type of corrosion develops particularly in very concentrated nitric environments (> 90 %) up to boiling point, also in strongly oxydising nitric environments (oxidising ions present such as : hexavalent chromium, pentalivalent vanadium – ferritic salts etc…)1.4361 has a chemical composition adapted to work in the transpassive zone. It resists perfectly to intergranular corrosion.